Subject: Updated List

From: Jeff Hendershot <jwh>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 89 08:20:38 mdt

To : Joel, Marysue, Robert

I've taken Joel's original list and made the changes we talked
about yesterday :

1.) Added our questions to be answered concerning "system management
    requirements","transparent access to other networks" and
    "estimated/measured performance"
2.) Added "unattended powerup capability" as a booting requirement
    for PAWS
3.) Merged the implementation effort and time to market categories
4.) Removed PAWS from requiring globalization support, added BASIC
    to require case sensitive file names
5.) Added "exclusive open" as a file system requirement for both
    PAWS and BASIC
6.) Added a "new opportunities" category

If I've missed anything, let me know.
See you,
Jeff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is a first attempt at a list of requirements and
variables against which various alternative solutions to the
MA networking problem can be measured.  The list was developed
by Robert Quist, Mary Sue Rowan, Jeff Hendershot and Joel Hurmence
on 4/5/89.  Please send comments to jbh@hpcndaw.

The importance of particular requirements may vary between "must,"
"high want" and "don't care" with the following considerations:
	1. whether WS OS code is to be redesigned/rewritten
	2. whether existing SRM applications are to be supported unchanged
The list below assumes minimal change to WS OS code and emphasizes
support of stand-alone (non-SRM) installations.

Requirements List

File System Requirements:
(must)	local mass storage for WS not required	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	file-level locking			PAWS, BASIC
(must)	file protection	of some kind		PAWS, BASIC
(must)	temporary files linkable to permanent	PAWS only
(hw)	anonymous files linkable to permanent	PAWS only
(must)	filenames case sensitive		PAWS, BASIC
(must)	filenames of length > 8 chars		PAWS, BASIC
(hw)	filenames of length > 13 chars		PAWS only
(must)	at least 2 active working dirs		PAWS only
(must)	file types (implmtd at server or WS)	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	system sector (implmtd at server or WS)	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	work with WS for globalization support	BASIC
(must)  exclusive open                          PAWS, BASIC 

Spooling Requirements:
(must)	spooling not distinct from file access	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	multiple file types (by server or WS)	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	multiple device types 			PAWS, BASIC

Booting Requirements:
(must)	HP-UX discless boot (reqd by bootrom)	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	Consistent connection between boot env.	PAWS, (BASIC too)
	and file access env., i.e. WS must be
	able to rewrite boot files and reboot.
(must)  Unattended powerup capability           PAWS

System Configuration Requirements:
RAM required
intfc card required
intfc cable required
series 200 support?

System Management Requirements:

How complex, both from the server side and client side,
for the following tasks :

enabling connectivity, including over gateways
adding new clients
adding new spool devices
managing the boot configuration from the workstation
managing system configuration files
controlling access to the server
controlling access to features available from the server
checking system status

Transparent Access to Other Networks:

how transparent (what are the limitations) ?
server side tasks
workstation side tasks

RMB source code compatibility
PAWS object code compatibility

Estimated/Measured Performance:

speed per task per number of clients
number of connections that can be supported
number of files that can be open at once

Functionality Lost with Given Alternative

Time To Market (server *and* WS):
calendar time and effort for :

development
test
documentation

Cost to Customer:

server cost
cost per connection

New Opportunities