Subject: MA networking requirements

From: Joel Hurmence <jbh@hpcndaw>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 89 10:23:26 mdt

The following is a first attempt at a list of requirements and
variables against which various alternative solutions to the
MA networking problem can be measured.  The list was developed
by Robert Quist, Mary Sue Rowan, Jeff Hendershot and Joel Hurmence
on 4/5/89.  Please send comments to jbh@hpcndaw.

The importance of particular requirements may vary between "must,"
"high want" and "don't care" with the following considerations:
	1. whether WS OS code is to be redesigned/rewritten
	2. whether existing SRM applications are to be supported unchanged
The list below assumes minimal change to WS OS code and emphasizes
support of stand-alone (non-SRM) installations.

Requirements List

File System Requirements:
(must)	local mass storage for WS not required	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	file-level locking			PAWS, BASIC
(must)	file protection	of some kind		PAWS, BASIC
(must)	temporary files linkable to permanent	PAWS only
(hw)	anonymous files linkable to permanent	PAWS only
(must)	filenames case sensitive		PAWS only
(must)	filenames of length > 8 chars		PAWS, BASIC
(hw)	filenames of length > 13 chars		PAWS only
(must)	at least 2 active working dirs		PAWS only
(must)	file types (implmtd at server or WS)	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	system sector (implmtd at server or WS)	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	work with WS for globalization support	PAWS, BASIC

Spooling Requirements:
(must)	spooling not distinct from file access	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	multiple file types (by server or WS)	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	multiple device types 			PAWS, BASIC

Booting Requirements:
(must)	HP-UX discless boot (reqd by bootrom)	PAWS, BASIC
(must)	Consistent connection between boot env.	PAWS, (BASIC too)
	and file access env., i.e. WS must be
	able to rewrite boot files and reboot.

System Configuration Requirements:
RAM required
intfc card required
intfc cable required
series 200 support?

System Management Requirements:
(list to be expanded later)

Transparent Access to Other Networks:
(list to be expanded later)

RMB source code compatibility
PAWS object code compatibility

estimated performance

functionality lost with given alternative

implementation effort

Time To Market (server *and* WS):
development time
test time 
documentation time

Cost to Customer:
server cost
cost per connection