Subject: QL FAQ part 0: introduction
From: [email-masked] (Robert H. Klein)
Date: 8 Aug 1994 06:14:15 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sinclair

ZX83
  ________________            _______________            ________________
 /_______________/\          /_______________\          /\_______________\
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \         |||||||||||||||||         / /////////////////
  \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/         |||||||||||||||||        / /////////////////
   \\\\  \                   ||||/___________\       / ////___________\
    \\\\  \                  |||||||||||||||||      / /////////////////
     \\\\  \____________     |||||||||||||||||     _\/////////////////
      \\\\/____________/\    /-----------\||||    /\____________\////
       \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \   |||||||||||||||||   / /////////////////
        \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/   |||||||||||||||||   \/////////////////
          comp.sys.sinclair FAQ list for the Sinclair QL computer
            This FAQ list has last been modified at 1994-AUG-07

0 Introduction to the FAQ

0.0 Preface and forward

    Dear reader,
this is the first (reviewed) edition of the FAQ for the Sinclair
QL computer.  Great parts are incomplete or I haven't any idea
about the topic.  Perhaps you want to have additional material in
the FAQ.  Many thinks may be unclear or simply wrong; please
don't blame me to much for this.

The use of the words QL or QDOS sometimes includes unwritten that
the actual topic also includes compatibles.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, criticism please mail me
<[email-masked]>.  (But please be patient and
rational, and keep short if possible: I've only a limited
diskspace.)

Well, now relax and enjoy.

Robert

0.1 NEWS *** NEWS *** NEWS

Sinclair QL World is dead.
FAQ now contains the Pointer environment section.
Subsectiuon about the HAL16L8 (IC38) added.
There's an error in the QL circuit diagram in the QL technical
manual.  (i.e. IC24 is NOT connected to the CPU with CPU pin 22).
I had further information, but lost the post-it. Sorry -ed.
The FAQ will from now on be available via FTP.  I'll try to
upload it at ftp.nvg.unit.no and/or garbo.uwasa.fi.
Furthermore I have a list of version differences of TK2 and some
other QL related, but had no time to check, so it's not
included. Sorry -ed.

0.2 Contents

    * means, that I have not enough information to write 
      anything about the marked FAQ part or that I'll try to
      do it in future.

   0 Introduction to the FAQ
   0.0 Preface and forward
   0.1 NEWS *** NEWS *** NEWS
   0.2 Contents
   0.3 Warranty information
   0.4 How to submit new material to tha FAQ
   0.5 Miscellaneous information
   0.6 What's the Sinclair QL
   0.7 Facts about the Sinclair QL

   1 QL, QL Clones Hardware
   1.1 QL
   1.1.1 The Motorola MC 68008 CPU
   1.1.2 The Intel 8049 IPC (or 8749)
   1.1.3 ZX8301 (Peripheral Control)
   1.1.4 ZX8302 (Peripheral Chip)
   1.1.5 HAL/GAL 16L8
   1.1.6 Microdrives
   1.1.7 Power supply
   1.1.8 Build Standards, Differences
   1.2 Sandy Q-XT 640
   1.3 CST Thor PC (later Thor 1)
   1.4 Sandy 68000 PC (Futura, formerly QLT; never apperared)
   1.5 CST Thor 20, 21
   1.6 CST Thor XVI
   1.7 Futura Data Centre QL emulator board for the Atari ST
   1.8 Miracle Systems Gold Card
   1.9 ICL One Per Desk (also Merlin Tonto or Computerphone)
   1.10 Merz QVME Card
   1.11 Miracle Systems QXL Card
   1.12 Miracle Systems Super Gold Card

   2 QL Device Operating System (QDOS) and Compatibles
   2.1 QDOS
   2.2 Minerva
   2.3 Argos
   2.4 SMSQ
   2.5 QDOS enhancements
   2.5.1 SuperToolkit II
   2.5 2 Pointers, Menus, Hotkeys and Things
   2.6 SMS2

   3 Programs for the QL / Compatibles
   3.1 Emulators of other systems on the QL
   3.1.1  PC Conqueror
   3.1.2 The Solution
   3.1.3 CP Mulator
   3.1.4 Success
   *3.1.5  Spectrum emulators ZM/HT etc
   3.2 Psion Quartet
   3.2.1 Quill Import/Export

   4 dealers, clubs, magazines, ftp sites, Internet
   4.1 Hardware dealers
   4.2 Services
   4.3 Software dealers
   4.4 Club adresses
   4.5 Magazines
   4.6 QL Internet Resources
   4.6.1 ftp sites
   4.6.2 UseNet News

0.3 Warranty information

   In no circumstances will the maintainers of this FAQ be liable
for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damage or
loss including but not limited to loss of use. stored data,
profit or contracts which may arise from any error, defect or
failure of the FAQ or the information supplied with it.

   The FAQ maintainers have a policy of constant development and
improvement of their FAQ.  Therefore, the right is reserved to
change the FAQ contents at any time and without notice.

   Each part of this FAQ may be reproduced in any form whatsoever
without the written permission of the FAQ maintainers.

0.4 How to submit new material to tha FAQ

   In general, if you think the answer to a question needs to be
clarified or corrected, or wish to propose a new question AND
answer (please provide BOTH at the same time), send it to me. For
new questions/answers, you should also provide an indication of
what section of the FAQ the Q&A belong in. I am the maintainer of
the FAQ, but not the overall author. If a change is in the
category of a small correction, I go ahead and make it. If it is
something significant, I'll try coordinate with the original
submitter to obtain an appropriately worded answer.

   I am also looking for submissions of information on
periodicals to add to the periodicals reading lists. These should
be submitted in the following format:

<name of publication>
        FOCUS: <one line summarization>
        FREQUENCY: <how often published>
        SUBSCRIPTION RATES: <rates for the USA and elsewhere>
        SUBSCRIPTION ADDRESS: <where to send 'da money to subscribe>
        PUBLISHER: <who's ultimately behind this>
        COMMENTS: <anything you want to add>

0.5 Miscellaneous information

   This FAQ list has been made by Jennifer Louise Yockney and
Robert Klein.

   Many thanks to all the people who helped us to put this thing
together, especially to:
                Jennifer Louise Yockney <[email-masked]>
                Scott Telford
                Richard J. Kettlewell <[email-masked]>
                Richard Zidlicky

   The abbreviation SQLW means Sinclair QL World.

   Any suggestions, criticism please email to
     [email-masked]

0.6 What's the Sinclair QL

   [from a leaflet from WN Richardson.  Please don't blame me
-ed]

   The Quantum Leap computer was launched by Sir Clive Sinclair
in 1984 aimed mainly at the business market rather than the games
market which dominated Spectrum sales.

   The QL was (and still is) supplied complete with a suite put
together by PSION comprising of a fully functional wordprocessor,
spreadsheet, database and a business graphics programs (bar
charts, pie charts etc).

   The concept of the QL is to plug in and go. The only extra
required to get started is a standard TV and 10-15 minutes time
(i.e. to to start typing a letter).

   There is a host of additional peripherals available for the QL
including printers, disk drives, monitors, interfaces and
specialist hardware and software. The QL has its own magazine -
"QL World" which carries interesting articles and advertisements.

0.7 Facts about the Sinclair QL

   [From a leaflet from WN Richardson.  Please don't blame me
-ed]

   Following his successes with the 'ZX' and 'SPECTRUM' computers
Sir Clive Sinclair produced the 'QL' -- 'Quantum Leap' --
computer.

   Although out if production now for some years it was ahead of
its time, and is still up-to-date in most respects, and in use in
the USA and many other countries.  It is very versatile and the
basis for even more sophisticated versions which are still being
produced by independent designers.  It was intended for use by
small businesses, students, and hobbyists, and was remarkable
value for money from the outset.  Today there are many businesses
still buying QL's rather than spend thousands on more elaborate
systems.

   It is extremely well supported with inexpensive programs, some
library ones only GBP 2, or free.  They cover all kinds of
subjects from games to business, as well as graphics, and the
really complex.  As supplied the QL includes four standard
programs.  An excellent and quick to learn word-processor
'QUILL'; a very useful spreadsheet: 'ABACUS'; a database filing
system: 'Archive'; and 'EASEL' for designing graphs. Help and
advice is always available from the active support group
'QUANTA'.

   Since the 'QL' is now such outstanding value for money a great
number of owners have two: one in use and the other as back-up,
networked, or doing other jobs such as scientific work or
operating a modem.  Many users are students of the applications
of computers, and the art of programming.  The 'QL' improved
BASIC 'SuperBASIC' encourages the design of well structured
programs, and is easy to write and read.

   The small size and lightness of the 'QL' and the facility to
display on 'TV' or 'Monitor' aided by the built-in microdrives
makes it portable, for example between office and home.

   Emulator programs (such as 'PC Conquerer', 'The Solution',
'CP/M', 'DiscOver', 'Multi-DiscOver', and 'AQmulator for Atari
ST') enable files and programs to be used to and from the 'QL',
'PCs' and most other computers. There are also many specialist
programs for accounting, desk top publishing, graphic art,
computer aided design, and other subjects.

   The QL can operate all devices such as printers and modems via
RS232 ports and where necessary interfaces.  Disk and hard-disk
systems are available.

   The QL is based on the famous Motorola 68008 microprocessor,
and the basic machine has 128K of RAM expandable by 768K using
expansion cards without another CPU on it, a ROM expansion port
is provided.  Two microdrive units are built in for input and
files.  An expansion connector allows up to six further
microdrive units to be added if desired.  Other facilities are:
two RS232 ports, a network port, two joystick ports, and a
built-in speaker. The 'QL' is capable of multi-tasking and can
utilise disc systems. It provides 255 possible colour effects.
Sound, though of fixed volume, is controlable for duration,
pitch, oscillation between pitches, variable 'bounce' rates, and
distortion.

--
Robert H. Klein  email: [email-masked]
papermail:  Bluecherstrasse 24,  D-56349 Kaub,  Germany